Plastic Pollution - A Human Legacy of TRASH
Plastic Pollution: A human legacy of trash It’s just not enough to recycle. Unfortunately, our waste management systems are just not responsible enough and waste is piling up all over the world. We have to take action, be responsible and stand up against the use of plastics that are destroying our environment, habitats for other living creatures and protect our planet for future generations. Taking a look at the epidemic, “It’s just one straw … said eight billion people.” The more we learn the more we recognize that the issue of plastic pollution is severe and widespread. Plastics are everywhere. They are easily molded into a wide range of products from bath, beauty and food packaging, single and multi use bottles, bags, computers, plumbing pipes, car parts and more. The list is endless and so is the effects of the pollution caused by it. Most plastics are made from fossil fuels (oil) and do not react chemically with most other substances meaning they do not decay or biodegrade in the environment. It takes an average of 400 years for plastic to begin to breakdown. Since 1950, plastic production has reached 8.3 billion tons with only 2.6 billion tons still in use. A mere 0.8 billion tons have been incinerated, leaving 4.9 billion discarded into the environment. It is shocking to learn that only an estimated 9% of discarded plastic is recycled. The largest sector of global plastic packaging (36%) is single use which has been designed to be used once and thrown away. Yes, we absolutely need to stop single use packaging but, we cannot stop there. That still leaves 64% to all other plastics that are also being wasted after a dozen or more uses. Correct me if I am wrong but, that is a huge percentage. It’s time to take a stand against plastic. Join us as we commit to going zero waste. Let’s dig on a little deeper! Have you heard the term microplastics? Well, plastic debris comes in all shapes and sizes but, those less than 5mm in length (about the size of a sesame seed) are defined as “microplastics”. Where do these micro plastics come from, you ask? When larger pieces of plastic like bags, bottles, straws, plates, cutlery, foam, fishing gear and the millions of packaging labels produced for our bath, beauty and cosmetic enjoyment breakdown over time by sunlight, waves or other physical stresses … these small fragments are called microplastics. Did you know that Micro plastics litter the environment due to irresponsible behaviour and poor waste management systems? I was shocked, absolutely stunned actually to learn that at least 5.25 trillion plastic particles weighing 268,940 tons are just floating at sea! It is said by 2050 there will be more plastic at sea than fish! If that does not make you want to take a stand, I don’t know what will. Now let me pick my jaw up off the ground and continue on. Let’s discuss another polluter … I am sure you have heard the term “Microbeads”! Pardon my French but, WTF has this world come to!? Imagine, these beads were found in body scrubs, tooth paste, soaps and more. In 2015 the Microbead-free Waters Act was passed that banned the use of microbeads in cosmetics and personal care products in the USA. Thank God for that! It is still alarming to know that for some time we were scrubbing our teeth and bodies with plastic beads and rinsing them down the drain to further pollute our environment. Such a sad and sickening state of affairs. These are just some of the reasons why we are on a mission to go zero waste in 2020. It is our goal to bring you a head to toe bath and beauty experience that you can trust will be safe on your skin and in our landfills. Let’s do this together, join us on our crusade against plastic. It won’t be easy, it won’t happen overnight but, every little change we make today will affect the outcome of tomorrow.